Education and inclusion specialists are recommended when there is concern about an individual's performance in the classroom and/or if previous behavioral and therapeutic interventions have met with limited success. The focus of the consultations can vary from identifying academic challenges to providing behavioral support.
Assessments can be performed individually or as part of the multidisciplinary assessment team at the Melmed Center.
At School Services
- Observation of the child in his/her classroom
- Attending Individual Education Plan meetings, section 504 and student success team meetings to ensure that appropriate educational supports are being provided for the child
- Training of staff and administrators in educational strategies unique to children with special needs.
- Interpretation of standardized educational testing to assist in determining the child's current level of performance and to identify areas of strength and need.
- Designing collaboratively with the school teachers in order to devise an individual education plan that includes modifications and accommodations that are to be implemented in the classroom.
- Assisting the educational team with the design and implementation of positive behavioral intervention and support strategies.